AGRO is coming to Indianapolis
AGRO will host its annual program at the 246th ACS Fall National Meeting, September 8-12, 2013, in Indianapolis, IN. A list of planned technical sessions is provided on our meetings page and detailed summaries are provided in the latest issue of the PICOGRAM starting on page 26. The deadline for abstract submission is March 18, 2013. Click here to go to the ACS Fall National Meeting Page. Contact Program Chair, Steve Duke for more information.
Social Hour Sponsored by Dow AgroSciences
Preregistration will be required to attend the AGRO Social Hour on September 10 from 5:30 to 8:00. Transportation to the Dow AgroSciences World Headquarters will be provided. Buses will leave at 5:00PM from the Indianapolis Convention Center on Maryland Street. The registration deadline is August 31.
NEW! Opportunities for Involvement in AGRO in Indianapolis
AGRO is a volunteer organization, and, therefore, there is no hired staff to take care of many of the jobs that are associated with our annual meeting. Occasionally, some things fall through the cracks because there are simply not enough volunteers at the meeting to take care of all of the things that should be done. This year (Indianapolis – 2013), we would like to fill those cracks early by getting volunteers ahead of time to take care of these details. In addition to helping AGRO, for some of you, this may be a first step to meeting more AGRO members and learning more about us.
Please email the program chair, Steve Duke (Stephen.Duke@ars.usda.gov) if you would like to volunteer for any of the chores listed below. We realize that the program will dictate when you will be available, but this can be sorted out later to fit your schedule.
- Photographer – We need someone to take photos of those getting AGRO Awards for our website and the Picogram.
- Setting up the AGRO desk.
- Working the AGRO desk – We need you, even if you can only help for a couple of hours. The AGRO desk sitters answer questions, give out Picograms (and have people sign for them), solicit membership in AGRO if visitors to the desk are not AGRO members, collect symposia attendance forms, and ….. it is a good way to meet people.
- Acting as a “floater” to check out session rooms to make sure everything is working.
- It would be great if we could have a student volunteer in each session room to help with lights and to make sure all presentations are loaded properly.
- For veteran members, it would be nice to have you volunteer as an AGRO ambassador to reach out to new people to encourage them to join AGRO.
AGRO continues its Lunch and Learn Webinar Series on May 8, 2013, 12:00 to 1:00PM Eastern Time (16:00 GMT). REGISTER NOW!
Designing Studies to Assess the Effects of Pesticides on Honey Bees
Honey Bee colonies have been under pressure due to a variety of environmental factors. The effect of pesticides has specifically been debated and honey bee studies are being conducted to address this issue. The webinar will discuss how such studies are custom designed to fit both the EPA regulation requirements, and general beekeeping practices. Studies are normally conducted under Good Laboratory Practices but occasionally also include preliminary pilot studies to design the final study for EPA submission. This presentation will cover many of the designing aspects of studies.
Nominations are needed for:
2014 IUPAC International Award for Advances in Harmonized Approaches to Crop Protection Chemistry
Application deadline, December 1, 2013
2013 Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry Research Article of the Year Award LectureshipApplication Deadline, February 13, 2014
See the JAFC website for details
AGRO has co-sponsored many ACS Symposium Series Books. An exciting addition to our Symposium Series has just been published.
Pesticide Regulation and the Endanger Species Act
This book is the first comprehensive treatment of issues related to pesticide regulation and the ESA. The basis of the book is an emerging spirit of cooperation and constructive dialogue among key stakeholders,
The Spring 2013 edition of the PICOGRAM is now available on line.
Please review our new website and give us your feedback at email@example.com